Relationship. That one word can be something wonderful or it can bring misery to your mind. Which is it for you?
Not every relationship can be AMAZING! However, no relationship will be amazing for you if you harbor ill feelings from relationships of your past. No one wants a bad relationship just like no one wants a partner that is holding on to their past baggage.
If I think of 5 things every relationship needs to be successful, these are it (not in any particular order):
1) Freedom – You need to be ready to be in another relationship. Meaning: No thoughts/feelings regarding your past relationship. When you go on a date, that date doesn’t want to hear no long ass story about your past relationship however I will ask you about it to see your response towards it because the way you talk about your last relationship can tell a person a lot.
2) Trust – Trust shouldn’t have to be EARNED in a new relationship. Trust is a privilege that you give to your partner automatically HOWEVER it can easily be taken away. Heads up! You lose the trust, you just lost the relationship. Meaning: If I feel the need to constantly check your phone, we have no trust and therefore no hopes for a successful relationship.
3) Communication – This is key to EVERYTHING. Lack of this, leaves room for questioning, doubts and obviously miscommunication. You may need to work on this but as long as both parties are open to learning how to communicate with one another than there is hope.
4) Interest – This may sound weird because automatically you’re thinking, “Obviously there is interest that’s why you’re in the relationship”. But I don’t mean like that. You need to show interest in the things that are important to your partner. I’m not saying you are going to like everything they do but you at least should be open to trying it at least once. Meaning: if your girl is into poetry, attend a poetry event with her. You don’t have to always go especially if you don’t like it however that one time shows that you respect her interests enough to see if it is something you could also partake in. This also goes for women, if your man is into basketball (these are just examples), go to a game with him. If after you attend these “examples” and figure it’s not your thing then no problem but at least you tried.
5) Intimacy – This isn’t just in reference to sex. Intimacy can be many things but it NEEDS to be there. I can’t stress the NEED anymore than that. Everyone, even the most confident person needs to feel wanted/desired by their significant other.
6) This is a bonus and definitely will not relate to everyone but if you are on the same boat as me than this will definitely matter. GOD – Without him being a strong force within your relationship, I feel a lot of things can go wrong that could be avoided. Through him all things are possible. A family that prays together stays together. There is something encouraging about having a partner who believes in the same things as you… At least I think so.